The U.S. Department of Treasury requires all federal benefit recipients to get their federal benefit payments electronically instead of by paper check before March 1, 2013. If you are currently get your federal benefit payments by paper check, you’re requested to switch now. If you have an existing checking or savings account, you can choose to get benefit payments by direct deposit into your existing bank account. Or else, you can choose to sign up for the Direct Express card, a prepaid debit MasterCard recommended by U.S Treasury. You can switch to electronic payments online easily.
Using electronic way to get your federal benefits payments is a safer, easier and more reliable way than paper checks for federal benefit recipients. Switching from paper check to electronic payment way is easy to complete on Go Direct website, so you don’t need to worry about that.
About the Go Direct
Go Direct is a national campaign in the United States sponsored by the U.S. Department of the Treasury and the Federal Reserve Banks. This campaign is designed to motivate more Americans to choose direct deposit for their Social Security, Supplemental Security Income, VA Compensation and Pension and other federal benefit payments.
How To Switch to Electronic Payments for Federal Benefits?
- A computer with internet access.
- You are getting federal benefit payments by paper check currently.
- The 12-digit federal benefit check number and the amount of your most recent federal benefit check.
- Step-By-Step Guide
- Go to the Go Direct website at related link 1 below, find and click “switch now” link under the block of U.S. Treasury Requiring Electronic Federal Benefit Payments.
- Choose which way you prefer, switching to direct deposit or using Direct Express prepaid debit card.
- If you have a bank account, you can choose to switch to get direct deposit. Click on “Get Direct Deposit” button and follow instructions to sign up for direct deposit of your check online. You’ll need to provide your Benefit Payment information and Direct Deposit information.
- If you don’t have a bank account or credit check, you are suggested to apply for the Direct Express card. Click on “Get the Direct Express Card” button and follow instructions to apply for your Direct Express Debit MasterCard.
- For further information, refer to the Go Direct FAQ at related link 2.
- Go Direct Website:
- Go Direct FAQ: