File Online for Unemployment Benefits in California
The State of California Employment Development Department offers an online service to residents of California that allows them to apply for unemployment insurance benefits online. If you are out of work, are currently looking for a job, and have worked in the last 18 months, then you may be eligible for benefits, which you can file for at the Employment Development Department’s website. If you are out of work, have worked some time in the last 18 months, and you lost your job through no fault of your own then you may be able to receive money from the State of California that will help tide you over until you can get back to work. Best of all, you can file for these benefits online at your own convenience, instead of going into a government office during their working hours.
About the State of California Employment Development Department The State of California Employment Development Department is one of the largest and old branches of the California state government. It has seventy years of experience helping residents of California find jobs, get valuable job training, and receive unemployment insurance benefits during periods of job loss. They have a large web portal offering information, services and resources for jobseekers in California. How can you file online for unemployment insurance benefits from the California Employment Development Department?
- A computer with internet access.
- You must have lost your last job through no fault of your own.
- You must be currently looking for work.
- You must have worked sometime in the last 18 months.
- You must be physically able and ready to accept work.
- Have your personal and work history information handy.
- Step-By-Step Guide
- Go to the State of California Employment Development Department website at related link 1 below.
- Run your mouse over the tab at the top of the page marked “Unemployment”, then click on the link marked “Apply for UI Benefits”.
- Click on the link marked “Filing a Claim” in the section halfway down the left hand side of the page that is marked “Filing for Unemployment Insurance”.
- Click on the link marked eApply4UI under step two of the Claim Process.
- Read the introduction to the online application form and then click on the button marked “Continue”.
- Read the instruction carefully, tick the box indicating that you have read it and then click on the button marked “Continue”.
- Complete the application form as instructed.
- If you have any questions about filing for unemployment insurance, please see the FAQ at related link 2 below.
- California Employment Development Department website: http://www.edd.ca.gov
- Unemployment Insurance FAQ: http://www.edd.ca.gov/Unemployment/FAQs.htm